26 June 2007

Trek to Ohio - Devil's Tower

The next stop in our trek to Ohio was Devil's Tower. I'd never even heard of this national monument before. There is a restaurant in Waverly, OH (the town we are living) called "Dakotas" which has a chocolate cake "Devil's Tower" which I heard about when I was here in March. Then when we were planning our trek to Ohio I found that there was a national monument by the same name in Wyoming. I'm not sure what this has to do with the Dakotas though.

A big deal was made about how this monument was/is a place of worship for Native Americans. To recognize this, June is the month for a voluntary observation of a climbing ban. When we were there, there were still several people climbing the rock. According to the brochure, the fastest free climb was 18 minutes! I don't care who you are, that's just insane!!

I didn't remember this, but this monument appeared on Close Encounters of the Third Kind. According to Wikipedia, it's coordinates were incorrectly referred to as 40°36′10″N, 104°44′30″W. It really bothers me that Spielberg couldn't get this right. I mean, really, how hard could it be? Is it too much to ask to ask for some accuracy in our science fiction films? Anyway, here are some pictures for your enjoyment...



No comments: